Heat Exchanger Plugs
Proplug is able to supply specialist tube type heat exchanger plugs for a vast range of industries. These high specification plugs are available from 10mm to 50mm - up to 7,000psi.
The plugs are manufactured in the material to match the heat exchanger tube material. Method of installation is quick, simple and does not require any hot work permits. It is without doubt the safest method of plugging off leaking tubes. Associated equipment includes pressure test pistols and vacuum test pistols to identify which tubes need plugging.
A proven long-term performer in fossil and nuclear stations, the Pop-A-Plug® II (P2) heat exchanger tube plugging system is the only plug that features patented internally serrated rings designed to maintain a leak-tight seal under extreme thermal and pressure cycling.
- Manufactured under a QA program certified to ISO-9001
- Quick and easy installation
- Can be supplied under ANSI N45.2, 10CFR50 Appendix B
- Suitability and type tested by TUV
- Helium leak tight to 1x10-10 cc/sec
Tapered pins can turn into lethal projectiles that can pose a real safety hazard for your workers. You can eliminate this danger with CPI / Perma Plug™ heat exchanger and condenser tube plugs. Resistant to thermal cycling and able to provide a seal that’s helium-leak tight, CPI / Perma Plug™ tube plugs are installed using a controlled force. This protects against damage to tubesheet ligaments and the adjacent tubesheet joints, extending the life of your heat exchanger and reducing costs when you need to retube.
- Rated up to 1,000 psi (68.9 Bar)
- Suitability and type tested by TUV
- Safer alternative to tapered pins and elastomer plugs
- Helium leak-tight to 1x10-10 cc/sec
Boiler tube plug
Reliably plug boiler tubes without welding or time consuming pre-heating and post-weld inspection. Proplug's EST Pop-A-Plug® Boiler Plugs are made for fast, easy installation. Just position the plug in place and set with an easy to use hydraulic tool. The unique breakaway controls installation force to ensure a positive seal. You get a reliable, leak-tight seal in minutes. Repairs go faster, and expensive downtime is substantially reduced. No welding also means no waiting for inspections.
- Installs in minutes; no welding required
- Rated to 1,000 psi @ 1000°F. (Higher pressures and temperatures available. Contact our sales team)
- All metal construction: CrMo, other alloys available
- Use in either water or fire tube boilers
- Ideal for HRSGs
- Available in kits of six plugs.
- Helium leaktight to 1 x 1011cc/sec.
There’s no better way to install Pop-A-Plugs than with our Ram Installation Equipment. Our PAP-6600 Small Ram Package hydraulically installs plugs up to 1.160" (29.46 mm) diameter in seconds. With a hydraulic ram weighing only 7 pounds (3.17 kg) and a total package weight of 35 pounds (15.88 kg), the PAP-6600 is compact, lightweight, and easy to use. Radial clearance of 1-3/4" (44.5 mm) is needed around the tube end, along with 7-1/2" (190.5 mm) axial clearance outward
from the tube end.
Here’s what the PAP-6600 Small Ram Package offers:
- A compact, air driven hydraulic pump: Requires a shop air supply of 40 to 125 psig (2.7-8.6 bar). Normal consumption is 20 CFM at 100 psi (6.8 bar). The connection to the pump is 1/4" NPTF
- 10 feet of 10,000 psi hydraulic hose
- Two complete 10,000 psi Quick Connects
- A rugged glycerin-filled 10,000 psi pressure gauge
- A metal storage box
Large Ram Package
For P2’s larger than 1.160" OD (29.46mm). The PAP-1750 Ram Package includes the same air activated hydraulic pump and high pressure hose assembly as supplied with the Small Ram Package.
RAM Package Order information
- Small Ram Package: Order PAP-6600.
- Small Ram and Close Quarters Ram Package: Order PAP-7600.
- Close Quarters Ram Package: Order CQR-1000 and specify plug sizes to be installed; also order the appropriate CQP pull rod assembly, i.e. a CQP-520-580 to install P2 plugs in the .520" to .580" range.
- For use with Small and Large Ram Packages: You will also need a pull rod assembly matched to the plug you are installing to complete your installation kit.
Manual installation tool
The Proplug Pop-A-Plug® manual Installation Tool (MIT) is the perfect companion to our Pop-A-Plug 6600 Hydraulic Ram or our Close Quarter Ram (CQR), providing fast, reliable installation where no air or electricity are available. Each MIT comes with a Pull Rod and Positioner to install the size and style Pop-A-Plug identifi ed in the tool’s model number. The same MIT body accepts all pull rods and positioners for P2s up to 1.160” and CPI/Perma Plugs up to 1.149”.
- Connect the reusable hex pull rod to the installation tool
- Apply the force necessary to expand and install the Pop-A-Plug by tighetning the hex nut
- The locating pin acts as a reaction arms to prevent the body from spinning as you tighten the hex nut